Search

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Manchester City complete swoop for Džeko

Edin Džeko has become the most expensive Bosnian-Herzegovinian player in history after joining Manchester City FC from VfL Wolfsburg on a four-and-a-half year contract for a fee reported to be in the region of €32m.
UEFA Europa League contenders Manchester City FC have captured Bosnia and Herzegovina striker Edin Džeko for a fee reported to be in the region of €32m.
The 24-year-old has signed a four-and-a-half year contract with Roberto Mancini's side after spending the previous three and a half seasons with VfL Wolfsburg, where he scored 66 times in 111 Bundesliga matches and won the German title in 2009.
"City are playing for first place in the Premier League and that is what I want," said Džeko, who has scored 17 times in 31 appearances for his country. "I am excited to play alongside players such as Carlos Tévez and Kolo Touré, who I have only seen on the television, and to be in the same team as players I have played against such as Jerome Boateng and Vincent Kompany.
"They will help me achieve my goal to be better in the future. I want to show the fans why the club paid the money for me. Everyone expects goals and I want to score them but most of all I want to contribute to a successful team. It is about ambition. I have spoken to Mancini and he told me 'this is the best club for you'."
Džeko began his career as a 17-year-old with FK Željezničar before joining FK Teplice for just €50,000. A record of 16 goals in 43 games was enough to persuade Wolfsburg to pay €4m for his services in summer 2007, since when he has thrived for club and country.
Manchester City face Aris Thessaloniki FC in the UEFA Europa League round of 32, travelling to Greece on 15 February with the return nine days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment